Friday, June 12, 2009

My Machine

Sewing Machine Meme; I can't believe I haven't blogged about my new machine yet!
What brand and model do you have?
I own a fresh out of the box Bernina Auora 440How long have you had it?
About a month! Not long enough to be able to just sit and sew and think of other things.
How much does that machine cost (approximately)?
Anywhere from $2800 to $3500, huge price difference so it pays to shop around. I got an excelent trade in on my Janome so was out of pocket $2200, very happy with that.
What types of things do you sew (i.e. quilting, clothing, handbags, home dec projects, etc.)?
Mostly quilts, as in tops, planning on using my mums new long arm for the actual quilting. But I have quilted a small cat quilt using the BSR and it turned out beautifully. I also sew the occasional dress for Cate or hem on some school pants and the odd cushion and craft project. I use my overlocker for dance costumes.
How much do you sew? How much wear and tear does the machine get?
I try to sew / do something crafty everyday but working FT puts a dampner on this. I would say that I turn my sewing machine on every few days, its still so new to me so I have to keep refering to the manual which takes time. As for wear and tear, none yet. I bought a variety of needles, I usually change them once a week or after a project.
Do you like/love/hate your machine? Are you ambivalent? Passionate? Does she have a name?
I do love it, but I loved my Janome too. My Bernina looks the part, I just need to really get stuck into some serious sewing. Customer service wise, very happy with the actual purchase dealer, but the 2 semi local Bernina Shops are not so good.
What features does your machine have that work well for you?
The mirror immage blanket stitch, the BSR stitch regulator is fantastic and I am in love with the huge quilting table that came with my machine. Oh, and the seperate bobin winder on top of the machine is great too. Still debating a fabumotion.
Is there anything that drives you nuts about your machine?
I think a second light would of been nice.
Would you recommend the machine to others? Why?
What factors do you think are important to consider when looking for a new machine?
Cost, my mum told me that a good machine should last you for 20+ years. When I bought my Janome, I bought the best that I could afford at that time, I got a great machine that was bomb proof! I outgrew it so traded up and again, I have bought the best I can afford. Lovin it so far! I was seriosly considering the next model up, but so didn't feel comfortable spending $8k on a machine!
Do you have a dream machine?
A Gammil, for long arm quilting. And an industrial straight stitch Pfaff, I have read so many stories of people finding machines on the side of the road thrown out for junk collection, I am yet to find anything good!!

No comments: